Tag Games is an ambitious and growing mobile game studio based in Dundee, Scotland. We have a 17 year legacy of making mobile games for some of the biggest brands on the planet.
This year Tag Games is working on exciting things that are in the hands of players right now! If you have experience in developing games for PC, Mobile or Consoles then you might be the right person to help us deliver amazing gameplay experiences. Join our growing team of veterans from around the world and help us grow a global games franchise.
Our culture is collaborative and relaxed. We encourage feedback and support each other to solve problems - always striving to be the best we can be. We are driven by a passion for quality and delivering outstanding products. If this feels like a studio where you can thrive and grow then we have a variety of roles available, both in our Dundee studio and remote. It would be great to have you join our team!
Tag Games is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Engineering team. You will inspire by being an effective coach as you motivate and develop the team. Working closely with the Studio Leadership team to ensure consistency and first-class leadership across the board as we endeavour to be the best place to make great games.
You will have a good understanding of the various specialisms and roles within the team with the ability to set each individual up for success by supporting them to reach their objectives and goals. You possess a solid grasp of the tools, processes and practices for effective and sustainable game development. You have a keen desire to help evolve and improve how we work by being an expert in your domain.
You will be an instrumental collaborator as we roll out studio wide initiatives. Operating mostly at a strategic level in partnership with the rest of Studio Leadership, you will deliver high impact initiatives that benefit and improve the wider studio - balancing short and long term objectives for the business.
You are an excellent communicator to both internal and external audiences, with a desire to cultivate and build relationships to help grow Tag's reputation in the industry.
Here's what you will be doing
- Working closely with your direct reports to nurture and develop their talent
- Conducting regular 1:1’s with your team, engaging in coaching and mentoring as necessary
- Collaborating with other technical leadership to help build strong & effective engineering teams that can deliver on Tag's business goals
- Supporting the engineering teams with advice and guidance to help them achieve their product goals
- Partnering with other members of studio leadership to help develop vision, strategies and practices and ensure they are communicated and rolled-out effectively and consistently across the studio
- Working with technical leadership across our projects to support, advise and provide guidance to help ensure projects deliver on their goals
- Partnering with technical leadership to form a group that helps to monitor and steer our studio wide engineering processes and practices; to ensure they are acting as a vehicle that continually improves our ability to deliver
- Continuously and demonstrably seeking opportunities to develop knowledge of both people management and discipline/craft practices and demonstrating this through improvements to processes and practices and ultimately in tangible outcomes
Drive and Delivery
- Working with technical leadership to articulate, refine and communicate what "great" looks like for your team and what is expected of a Tag engineer
- Partnering with production and other leadership to create, monitor and adapt teams that can safely and effectively deliver on their goals
- Consulting with product owners across the projects to help provide clarity of expectation for your team and work to resolve any misunderstandings, misalignments or issues
- With other technical leadership, supporting your team in the creation of achievable roadmaps, milestones and deliverable criteria
- Recognising and celebrating successful deliverables to help motivate your team and amplify good traits. Similarly, help the team learn from any misses so that they have the opportunity to grow and improve
Comms and Engagement
- Ensuring that all concerns, recommendations, feedback and actions from 1:1s, team meetings, etc. are acknowledged and followed up on
- Working with studio leadership to craft, review and feedback on studio wide messaging, ensuring that the messaging addresses the specific needs or concerns of your team
- Being a radiator of positive attributes whenever you are engaging with your team or the wider studio. Focusing the team on solving problems or accepting limitations rather than being stuck in unhelpful mindsets
- Where appropriate and helpful, surfacing risks, concerns, victories, etc from your reports to the studio leadership team
- Engaging and contributing actively in various ceremonies/sessions including project and team health checks, risk management, strategies, etc.
- Establishing yourself as someone that your team can approach to help them solve their problems, helping to build rapport, respect and trust with your direct reports
- Being responsive and available for your team to help them deal with emergent issues to ensure that they feel you are someone they can engage with
- Working with your team to identify risks and challenges that individuals, teams, disciplines and projects face and to put effective and pragmatic solutions in place
To do this job, you will need:
- To be an effective, calm, level-headed leader for your team
- An understanding and appreciation of your team members' individual styles, needs, motivations and goals and adapting your leadership style to suit
- Demonstrable experience of leading a large team (20+ people)
- To partner with other members of Studio Leadership team to help develop vision, strategies and practices and ensure they are communicated and rolled-out effectively and consistently
- To be effective at prioritising, triaging and managing your own time, and working through and with others, to ensure that the highest value commitments are delivered on time and at expected quality
- A clear understanding of the studio and project goals, required outcomes and definitions of success to ensure effective delivery and allocation of resources
- To be able to join the dots across the various teams and facilitate knowledge sharing to make sure things don't fall through the gaps and that we are learning from our collective experiences
- The leadership experience to empower your team with the direction, autonomy and accountability and support them with guidance and advice to solve problems for themselves
- To be able to react and respond to emergent problems but balancing that with longer term objectives
- A track record of Identifying and solving root causes, especially at a strategic/systemic level rather than just treating the symptoms
- A strong understanding of common game/software development practices and tools
- High level understanding of client, server, dev-ops, tools and graphics programming topics to be able to engage effectively with your team
While not required, below are nice to have:
- A genuine passion for games
- Understanding F2P and cross-platform game development
- Experience in implementing new processes and practices at scale
- Overseeing multiple teams of engineers of different sub-disciplines (client, server, dev-ops, etc)
- Experience working on a live title
- Familiarity with Agile development processes
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
Life at Tag
We're passionate about investing in people and will make sure you always have ample opportunities to progress and develop. We promote a friendly and supportive working environment and flexible hours amongst many other benefits.
About Tag Games
Loading application form